You live in India and would have a number of Indian dresses in your wardrobe. But how much do you really know about Indian Fashion?
We bring you some of the most important and unknown facts about Indian Fashion. Hope you enjoy them!
- Indians love cotton. In fact, the earliest cotton in the world was spun and worn in India. This trend was popular that even Roman emperors would buy and wear cotton from India.
- In ancient India, people wore clothes without stitching even when they had sound knowledge about stitching.
- Dhoti, scarf and Turban were very popular in ancient Indian Fashion and are still widely popular within Indian population.
- One of the most popular dresses of India – Salwar Kameez was introduced in India during the Islamic invasions in the country.
- Gold is a very important material in Indian Fashion. Indian women love to accessorize their outfit with gold jewellery.
- Indian clothing has been highly influenced by Bollywood fashions.
- Lakme Fashion Week is considered to be a very important event for Indian Fashion which is usually held in Mumbai each year. Now, there are a number of popular fashion weeks organized in the country.
- Dhoti Kurta – the traditional clothing for Indian men is known by different names in the country like Laacha in Punjab and dhuti in Bangla
- Due to their very high popularity in the regions of Punjab, salwar kameez is often called Punjabi Suit.
- In old times, saree was worn without blouse and petticoats. They were brought in trend by the wife of great poet Rabindranath Tagore.